Epic Games announced the release of Unreal Engine 4.22. This update introduces early access support for a Real-Time Ray Tracer and a Path Tracer, optimized for DXR (DirectX Raytracing) and NVIDIA RTX series GPUs.
Highlighted Features of the Real-Time Ray Tracer in UE4.22:
- Soft area shadowing for Directional, Point, Spot, and Rect light types
- Accurate reflections for objects in and outside of the camera frustum
- Soft ambient occlusion to ground objects in the scene
- Physically correct refraction and reflection results for translucent surfaces
- Indirect lighting from dynamic global illumination from light sources
NVIDIA, Microsoft, and Epic Games collaborated to introduce the DXR Spotlight Contest. We’re looking for game developers and content creators to create tech demos in Unreal Engine 4.22 featuring Microsoft DirectX 12 and DirectX Raytracing for a chance to win an NVIDIA TITAN RTX GPU.